"The land of ten tributaries at STOKE PRIOR was given to the monks of Worcester by Huthrid (Uhtred), subregulus of the Hwiccas, in 770. (fn. 13) Bishop Oswald leased 6 cassates at Stoke (fn. 14) to the then Eadmaer for three lives in 967, (fn. 15) and at the date of the Domesday Survey the monks of Worcester held Stoke Prior, which, with its berewicks of Eston (fn. 16) and Bedindone, (fn. 17) contained 10 hides. (fn. 18"
This extract is taken from A History of the County of Worcester: volume 3 by kind permission of British History Online
Parishes: Stoke Prior', A History of the County of Worcester: volume 3 (1913), pp. 528-532. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=43166 Date accessed: 04 December 2008.
To read the full transcript click on the link CLICK HERE
In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stoke Prior likethis:
"STOKE-PRIOR, a parish, with a village, in Bromsgrove district, Worcester; on the Birmingham and Worcester canal, and on the Bristoland Birmingham railway, 2 miles SSW of Bromsgrove. It has a post-office under Bromsgrove, and a r. station, called Stoke-Works, with telegraph. Acres, 3,820. Real property, £23,017. Pop., 1,622. Houses, 330. The property is much sub-divided. Finstall Park and Oak Hall are chief residences. There are extensive salt works, flour mills, brick and tile works, and a quarry. The living is a vicarage, united with St. Godwald, in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £310.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of W. The church ranges from Norman to later English, and has a fine later English tower. There are a chapel of ease at Finstall, two national schools, a reformatory, and charities £29."